Happy April! It’s a beautiful month for some spring cleaning. Now is a great time of year to declutter some of those winter clothes that never got worn and to pull out what’s ahead for summer. Even if you aren’t using a professional decluttering service (like yours truly) you should still take stock of your summer things. Advantages: see what you have and what you still need; don’t make unnecessary purchases getting duplicates of things you already own that might be buried; gives you time to make any repairs before you need the stuff to wear.
- Pull out all those shorts and summer tops and make sure they all have their buttons. Have a few you don’t like? Donate them! Have a few you’re excited to wear? Make sure they’re clean and easy to reach.
- How’s your bathing suit and other beachwear looking? Do you know where it all is? Consider making a beach bag with your suit, cover up, a big hat, sunscreen, and a towel. Then you can just grab the ready bag whenever you’re headed to the pool or beach.
- For many women, summer means sundress season! (Face it they are street acceptable nightgowns.) Pull out all your sundresses. Have some that no longer fit? Unless they fit last summer and you are two months into a workout routine, what are the chances they’ll actually fit this summer? Donate them to someone who will love them! Have a few that just don’t do it for you? Maybe they don’t sit right at the shoulder or a dart is in an uncomfortable place. Donate it! If you have anything preventing you from reaching for it again and again, it’s time to donate it.
- Shoes and sandals. I have a hard time talking about this one because I’ve never owned more than six pairs of shoes in my life (at a time) so I don’t understand the fascination, but…….Are your flip flops worn through? Get rid of them! Did a sandal strap break last year and you still haven’t fixed it? Put it on the front seat of your car and vow to deal with it in the next week. Otherwise it gets trashed or donated. Have a pair that makes you happy but nothing to wear them with? Shop your closet first to try and make an outfit. Then decide if it’s worth spending another $50+ on an outfit just to wear with those shoes.
- Hats! Another one I have troubles with, but take a look at all your hats. Do you like all of them? Really truly? Go through all the ball caps, all the floppy hats, all the berets (Hey, I don’t know much about hats okay?) Surely you have a cap or two that can be donated?
- Now is a great time to re-evaluate your yardwork and grungy clothes. How many outfits do you really need to paint the house it? Can your paint clothes double as your garden work clothes? How are your garden clothes holding up? Do they have holes that make gardening difficult? Are they too tight? If you had to answer the front door in those clothes would you be embarrassed by what you are wearing? Donate, trash, or repurpose as many yardwork clothes as possible.
If you are feeling ambitious or your clothing situation is perfected, consider decluttering some of these other areas:
- Seasonal decorations
- Garden tools
- Yard furniture and games
- Pool supplies
There you have it. April is a great time for decluttering and getting ready for summer. Have a summer category I’m missing? Feel free to comment below.